Yes! It is required by law to register your hives with the Department of Agriculture.  This is done to protect you the beekeeper.  The Dept. of Ag will notify you in any type of spraying conducted by the state is going to occur in your area and also allows for the monitoring of honeybee diseases, especially American Foulbrood, by the state bee inspectors.